Kinship Quilters Take Center Stage
March 23, 2016
Kinship Support Group Quilt
In July of 2014, we told you about the Kinship Quilting Group (pictured below) - a group of women from Edgewood's Kinship Support Network who share a common love of making quilts while supporting one another as they take care of family members. The group, which started in 2008, produced a lovely quilt that was recently displayed at the East Bay Heritage Quilt Show in Richmond.
The quilt took six months to craft - a labor of love for the 12 caregivers who contributed to the masterpiece. It not only represents craftsmanship but also is a symbol of the important role Kinship caregivers have in the community.
The Edgewood Kinship Support Network serves approximately 80 Kinship caregivers and 175 Kinship youth in San Francisco. The support group’s mission is to provide caregivers with a confidential and supportive place to talk about issues related to being a relative caregiver and raise kinship children. Integrating expressive arts such as quilting, crocheting and sewing has the positive result of helping caregivers better handle stress. Caregivers build life-lasting friendships and connections through the group.
The quilt will be on display this year in order to raise awareness about the important role of Kinship caregivers have in our society.
Did you know
- Edgewood's Kinship program operates both in San Francisco and San Mateo counties.
- Kinship caregivers tend to be older women who are less affluent and educated than non-relative guardians.
- In San Francisco, 1 in 7 children are living in households headed by grandparents or other relatives.
- Kinship youth often bring traumatic histories into their new homes; this trauma requires additional supports for the caregivers.
- Informal kinship families who are not eligible to receive support through the Kinship Support network can use the website www.iKinship.org.
You can help Edgewood children and their families with a one time gift, or, set up a recurring gift to provide ongoing help all year round!